Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Shake Up This Rut




Three weeks remain in the school year and I can’t wait for it to be over. The commute route, weekly schedule, search for new snack and lunch foods, it’s all too much of a good thing. I can’t stand volunteering for one more school initiative nor attending another celebration, demonstration or theatrical performance.

A change is coming and her name is Summer. Summer 2012, I long for you to enter our lives. Shake up this rut. Make us interesting. Fill the days with leisure pursuits. I still will work, clean and cook but the commute and schedule will change. The days will be longer. Friends will visit. We’ll have time for family fun. We can eat outside. There will be less laundry because clothes are lighter. Summer you will be everything that we desire – for 10 beautiful weeks. Then our affair will lose its luster.

Near the end of August Summer and I will have a falling out. She will have over stayed her welcome. I will crave the monotonous routine of the school year. That’s when I will longingly stroke the boy’s back-to-school supplies and fondly remember PTA members who I hid from in June. The only thing I like better than the beginning of summer is the first day of school. Neither arrives soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment